Tight Buns for Hot Jeans Contest Recipe of the Week
I’m still working on my fitness and I should have new results for you soon. I still feel great, even though our wedding is now 2 months away and is stressing me out and I’ve had a couple of really trying days at work. During these times I find that my body (and mind) feels so much better if I get into the gym. Funny how that works, eh?
Anyway, my amazing trainer Camie, started a contest for her clients and it’s based on results in the gym and tasks that she gives us weekly. This week’s task is to share a favorite recipe.
So, in hopes that I will be a contender in Camie’s Hot Jeans Contest, here’s my favorite fish taco recipe:
A couple of filets of a mild white fish (if you’re in the money go with Halibut, if not Cod or Tilapia will work just fine)
1/4 cup white wine vinegar
1 Red Pepper (diced)
1 tablespoon olive oil
A splash of lime juice
Coleslaw (I buy the kind from the store that has the coleslaw mayonnaise mix, probably the ingredient Camie will cut first)
Corn or Flour tortillas
1. Thaw your fish. That kind of sounds like something a Mafia guy would say. Like, “I thawed his fish.” Maybe not?
2. Grill or bake your fish. If you’re baking then I recommend making little packets out of foil. One filet goes in one foil packet. Sprinkle the cumin, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, salt and pepper over each fillet. You could season both sides if you want to be fancy like that. Or not. Whatevs. I bake at 350 for about 15 minutes. You know it’s done when you can flake the fish using a fork.
3. While the fish is cooking start preparing the Mango Salsa. Damn! You didn’t see that one coming did ya? That’s what they would call a “Secret Ingredient” on Iron Chef.
4. You’re going to need to dice a mango. I find this ridiculously hard as mango are quite slippery once they have been peeled. Alas, I use a vegetable peeler, peel the mango and then cut slices off that I later dice up. I try not to lose any fingers in the process. Put these mango pieces in a bowl. Add the white wine vinegar, diced up red pepper, lime juice, a little salt and pepper. Give it a quick stir and put it aside.
5. Make your coleslaw. The directions are on the bag.
6. Add a little fish, a little mango salsa and a little coleslaw. You could also make some black beans if you want. Eat the tacos.
Wish me luck! First prize is a $300 gift certificate to Fine ‘n Funky.